Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Book 2: Steve Jobs, Started!

Image from:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/
steve-jobs-walter-isaacson/1104099551
Wednesday evening I started the biography of Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.As I slipped off into slumber last night I was already moving on to page 104 and didn't want to go to sleep but I couldn't keep my eyes open. This is a MUCH more easier read than Book 1 (probably because I've been looking forward to reading it for well over a month).

Prior to beginning this challenge, I was in a book club and focused on the books that we were reading. Between homework and book club I didn't have time to squeeze in other books before the next book club meeting and getting the next book read. Sooooo the Steve Jobs biography was released and my inner Apple / technology fan was DIEING to read it but I couldn't squeeze it in. When I decided to start this journey and step away from book club, I decided the Steve Jobs book was the FIRST one I was going to read. BUT I found the free Ben Franklin book on the nook and decided to start with that one because it was the holiday season and the budget was a little tight.

So why am I so excited to start reading this book? Did I jump on the Steve Job's hype after he passed away and became the ultimate Apple fan? NOPE. In my early days of school we used Apple computers until reaching the upper grades where we were switched to PC. I then used PCs for the most part and could have cared less about the history of the computers or technology. When I started the community college I wasn't sure WHAT I wanted to do so I focused on getting my Associates in General Studies and took a bunch of Accounting classes. I found out that I was pretty darn good at Accounting. Moving forward to my Bachelors I decided to go to University of Baltimore for their Accounting degree... but then..... I discovered their Corporate Communications degree......... I had finally found what I wanted to go to college for! Corporate Communications had me learning the history of technology, the advancement of media, the advancement of technology, graphic design and web design. Somewhere in all those teachings we touched on Steve Jobs. He just fascinated me.

I don't own an iPhone but I do own an old old old iPod. I don't have an iPad or MacBook... but I do have a really old eMac. I bought the eMac when I started at University of Baltimore because they used Macs for their graphic design classes. I lived in Glen Burnie, worked in Annapolis and UB was in Baltimore. There was no way I was going to drive up to the computer lab at the end of the day or on a weekend just to do my homework. Soooooooo I scraped together my money and my savings bonds from over the years and bought my eMac. I LOVED (and pretty much still do) it! And while I don't have an iPad or iPod Touch (hubby has the iTouch) and I own a Droid instead of an iPhone its all because of the cost of things and our budget. If I could.... I would. I switched to using PC when I became a programmer and deep down inside my heart still belongs to Apple.

All these reasons add up to why I'm excited to read this book.

1 comment:

  1. This is on my "to read" pile. My son is an Apple fan and it has sort-of rubbed off... I still prefer my PC laptop, though!

    I'll look forward to hearing more on this book!

    ReplyDelete