On December 20th 2011, I turn 29. Its kinda a big deal. Not in a sad way but moving towards a milestone kind of way. I'm quite excited to be venturing into the last year of my 20's.
My original plan was to read an autobiography/biography/memoir (a/b/m) a month. As I started researching a/b/m's I saw there was much more to read... then I got inspired.... or crazy...
My goal is to read 30 a/b/m's before turning 30. I'm going to start the day I turn 29 and finish before December 20th 2012 (which is good because the end of the world is coming December 21st 2012).
I plan to blog my excitement, inspiration, boredom and journey here separate from the MommaSachs blog. I list mostly finalized and posted the week before my birthday. I'm up to 20 so far. Please comment and make suggestions!
Having just turned 46 the one I'm fretting is 50. Turning 29 to 30 didn't seem to phase me, BUT I was 2 weeks from having my first child so I was probably pre-occupied. I cried at 25 though for some reason feeling that my 20's were half over. Maybe as you turn 30 you could project ahead how you might feel at what you think will feel like your next major milestone.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea. I cried at turning 24. Don't know what the big deal was but 24 was awful. :)
ReplyDeleteMy problem with turning 30 was that I felt like that was it- no more excuses, I was now "Adult." No more "oh, she's still in her 20s, she's still figuring things out." I thought I had to know what was what already! Luckily I'm over that now ;)
ReplyDeleteDid you ask for suggestions or is the entire list already set?
ReplyDeleteFrank McCourt's "Teacher Man" is one I consider a career-choice inspiration, and his "'Tis" and "Angela's Ashes" were excellent as well. Roddy Doyle "Star Called Henry", Dylan Thomas or James Joyce "Portrait of an Artist..." (seems to be an Irish theme there) and Kurt Vonnegut "Armageddon in Retrospect" also favorites. "Clapton" by that guitar guy was good too.
I have Roald Dahl's on a shelf waiting to be read.
Happy Reading!
Thanks Joel! I haven't set a list in stone yet. I'm started with the first ten and then add on as I go. I figure I may be excited about one book now but come October I could be in a different place and there's nothing worse than having to read a book you don't want to read :)
ReplyDeleteI'll add these to my maybe list!